I am committed to public education and improving our public schools. Offering a world-class public education to Washington state students has always been, and remains, a top priority of mine. Investment in education represents investment in the skilled professionals and workers who define American economic success.
As the economy continues to recover, we need to be doing all we can to make it easier for students to get the training and skills they need to get the best jobs. That is why we need to modernize public K-12 education and support affordable access to higher education.
- Fighting to ensure school districts get timely reimbursements of Impact Aid resources so teachers, students and their families do not suffer from the budgetary uncertainties of Impact Aid;
- Support good jobs through public K-12 school modernization;
- Supporting the Pell Grant program so that college is a reality for any student who wants to attend;
- Fought for full funding for supplemental education and mentoring programs like the Boys and Girls Club;
- Provided critical funding that will help save 408 education jobs in the Second Congressional district;
- Fought to prevent the interest rate for federal undergraduate student loans from doubling.