This page includes frequently asked questions for those seeking a Military Academy nomination. Applications are due to my office by Friday, November 4, 2022. If you are ready to submit an application, you may fill out the Military Academy Nominations Form.
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides. You may only apply to one House office.
- Either of the U.S. Senators from his or her state
- Apply directly to the Vice President of the United States
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1 of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the Washington's Second Congressional District.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.
How do I apply?
Fill out the application on my website here.
The deadline for submission of materials to my office is Friday, November 4, 2022. All materials should be sent to:
U.S. Congressman Rick Larsen
Attn: Service Academy Nominations
2930 Wetmore Avenue, Suite 9F
Everett, WA 98201
When do I apply for a nomination?
My nomination application period opens May 15 each year for candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, current seniors or have already graduated.
What is the deadline for completing a nomination file?
The deadline for submission of materials to my office is Friday, November 4, 2022. Please contact my office at (425) 252-3188 for more specifics.
What must be included in my nomination file?
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- A brief essay explaining why you want to attend an Academy;
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from your high school;
- A list of community activities, achievements, and any employment;
- A sealed copy of your high school transcript and your SAT or ACT scores (our identification number with the Educational Testing Service for the SAT test is 4775; for the ACT test, it is 7739).
If you have any questions about these requirements, please call my Everett at office at 425-252-3188.
What happens after I have completed my nomination file?
Interviews by an Academy Selection Board will be held in December. The Board is comprised of former military personnel and other leading citizens from around our district. This committee is charged with evaluating each application, interviewing candidates and forwarding its final recommendations to Congressman Larsen.
What criteria is used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration.
How many academies are there?
There are five service academies.
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit each academy’s website for specific admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, as the USCGA accepts candidates based on its own testing criteria.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
One of your recommendations must come from your high school. Some of the people applicants typically seek recommendations from include:
- Scout Leaders
I do not require a specific recommendation form. A letter of recommendation is sufficient.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
Interviews by the Academy Selection Board will be held in December. The Board is comprised of former military personnel and other leading citizens from around our district. This committee is charged with evaluating each application, interviewing candidates and sending me its final recommendations.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.