Agriculture and family farms are an important part of the economy and character of the Second District. Whether it’s dairy operations in Snohomish County, seed farms in Skagit Valley, or a farmers market on San Juan Island, agriculture is an economic engine of Northwest Washington. As a former member of the House Agriculture Committee, I know how important research and crop insurance programs are to farmers in our state.
- Helped create the Specialty Crop Research Initiative and Special Crop Block Grants, which fund projects to advance the unique berry, fruit, seed and vegetable industries in Washington state.
- Pushed to find funding for the Northwest Center for Small Fruits Research, which enhances the sustainability and profitability for the berry, grape and wine industries.
- Introduced legislation with Rep. Suzan DelBene that would amend the Specialty Crop Research Initiative to provide $2.5 million annually to support research for berry and grape crops.
- Supported legislation to create stability in dairy markets for Northwest dairy farmers.
- Championed strong provisions for agriculture in free trade deals and encouraged the inclusion of provisions to loosen limits for U.S. exports abroad.
- Fought to protect Washington’s potato farmers from unnecessary restrictions on white potatoes in government programs.
- Supported appropriations for organic and other agriculture in Fiscal Year 2019.
- Ensured that Washington’s specialty crops are reimbursed through the Federal Crop Insurance program for fairer higher market values.